Here are the steps for doing a blog posting (with accompanying image) on our Anthropology 130X blogsite—
1) Select “New Post” from the icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
2) When asked what kind of posting you would like to do, select “Text.”
3) Title your blog post in the space at the top of the screen that says “Title (optional).”
4) Type your posting into the box in the middle of the screen (or alternately, cut and paste it from a Word document). If you choose to cut and paste it, note that you will have to go through and fix some of the spacing and formatting as your text will not appear exactly as it does in your Word file.
5) Edit your post for grammar, clarity and formatting (using the Toolbar at the top of the text box). You are welcome to add bold or italics to points you want to emphasize.
6) Click “Save Draft” at the bottom of the text box to ensure your work is saved (and to return to your text at a later time if you are not ready to post just then).
7) Click on the Anthropology 130X icon from the pull down menu in the upper right hand corner of the screen underneath your user profile/avatar. Then select “Dashboard.” A new page will appear. Select “Posts” from the upper left hand corner of the screen. A list of all your posts (pending and published will appear). Move the cursor over the post you want to look at and select “Preview” to have a look at how your post will appear in its final form.
8) Go back to your post and edit accordingly to fix grammar, clarity and formatting.
9) Feel free to add any links you would like to draw the reader’s attention to illustrate/support your points. Highlight the relevant text and then click on the icon that looks like a little chain in the Toolbar at the top of the text box. When asked for the web address, insert it into the pop up box that will appear. Check box that says “Open link in a new window/tab.” Then click “Add Link.” If done successfully, your text will appear underlined like this if I were making a point about the photographer Robert Frank and wanted you to know more about him.
10) Click “Insert Photo” to select your image from your computer’s desktop. You will need to have previously saved (or dragged) your image to your desktop.
11) Return to “Preview” once again (see step #7 on how to get there) to have a look at the changes you have made.
12) Click “Publish” when you are ready to share your post with everyone.
If you ever want to look at draft versions of posts and/or edit your profile’s settings, you can always click on the Anthropology 130X icon from the pull down menu in the upper right hand corner of the screen underneath your user profile/avatar and select “Dashboard.” This will always take you to the “behind the scenes” section of your user profile.